Re: [OM] semi (ot) why the hell do people engrave things on cameras/lens

Subject: Re: [OM] semi (ot) why the hell do people engrave things on cameras/lenses
From: "Chris O'Neill" <chris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 08:23:18 -0700
On 28 Oct 2001, at 19:09, andrew fildes wrote:

> I would like at this point to make an admission. I once engraved an ident.
> number on the rear barrel of a Nikkor 21/4 - yeah, the first one, made for
> the F with the mirror locked up. Only about 5000 made. What can I say?

There was a time, at least in Canada, where law enforcement agencies
were encouraging people to engrave their valuables as a way of helping
recover them in the case of theft.  My (now ex-) wife, seeing a
commercial on tv back in the mid-80's, carved my social insurance
number just tot the right of my OM-10.  It was uglier than sin, and cost
a bundle to have fixed last year, when the camera went-in for a CLA.

Why CLA an OM-10 when they're so cheap?  Because I had used that
camera to take pictures of my kids when they were itty-bitty ankle
biters.  That camera has alot of very fond memories attached to it, so it
was worth every penny I spent putting it in like-new condition, and it now
holds a hallowed spot in the camera collection.

Anyway, my point is that people engrave their cameras (and other
valuables) because they think it's a good idea.  Some of them (not my
ex) are even smart enough to do it where it isn't too cosmetically
damaging to the valuable.

Regards,

Chris