Re: [OM] Lens sharpness

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens sharpness
From: John Robison <omrobison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 08:43:20 -0800 (PST)
--- Olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I got a roll back, and I compared the shots.  I have
> a Tokina 90mm/2.5 and I
> compare the graininess to my Zuiko 50/1.8, and it's
> not comparable.  The
> Zuiko is about twice as sharp.  >
> Albert
  Greetings Albert, I think there is something going
on that is affecting your results. If both the Tokina
and Zuiko are in good condition and used under the
same circumstances with the same type of film, and
care was taken to ensure the camera was steady and the
exposure was correct, then the results should be close
with both lenses. Here are some questions to consider;
1. Exposure. Read a blank, evenly illuminated surface
with each lens, compensating for angle of view by
distance from surface. Are both readings the same? If
not, the meter pin on the back of the two lenses are
in two slightly different positions when lens is
mounted.
2. Camera steady. The OM-1 must be held with the hands
when used with a tripod to prevent mirror and
stop-down shake.
3. Subject and lighting. This really affects our
perception of print or slide sharpness. A brightly
lit, high contrast subject will appear sharper than a
dim, low contrast subject. There are many factors that
affect how we perceive sharpness, as  final test, lend
your Tokina to a trusted friend for a few weeks and
then look at his work, this may reveal the lens' true
potential.

Just a few thoughts.

John Robison