Re: [OM] semi (ot) why the hell do people engrave things on cameras/len

Subject: Re: [OM] semi (ot) why the hell do people engrave things on cameras/lenses
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 15:20:49 -0800
The main reason is to aid in theft recovery. The logic goes that if you
engrave your ID someone will be able to track you down if the item is
stolen. (Not that anyone actually WILL.) In addition, I think that a lot
of people do not really conceive of the fact that they may want to sell
the item someday. Many people also don't seem to be aware that this
greatly diminishes the value of the item. For many years police
departments in the US actively encouraged this practice, and would even
loan you the engraving tool to do it!

The good news is that these engraved lenses can make for goo user
lenses. In most cases the engraving is in a relatively inconspicuous
spot, and it does not affect use of the lens, just resale value. In most
cases the damage is purely cosmetic.

Jim Couch