[OM] how I got started

Subject: [OM] how I got started
From: Wayne Culberson <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 22:01:09 -0400
Your stories are very interesting. My first Olympus was the RC
rangefinder, which I bought in 1973, which I still have. Slides and
prints were always excellent, and I guess I didn't realize what a jewel
I had. It took about all my kids growing up pics, which are the pics I
value most. The only thing I regret about it is allowing some nut from
the police dept. to engrave a number on the bottom.  I still have the
olympus uv filter and olympus hood I purchased with it.
        In 1987 I wanted an slr, and bought an OM10 because it was what I could
afford. It has the 50mm 1.8 made in Japan version, but I must admit I
never did think it quite matched the quality of pictures that my RC
gave. The OM10 outfit came with a vivitar 80-200 f/4 also, which I still
don't really like and hardly ever use. I also bought that year a vivitar
28 f/2, which I think is as sharp as the zuiko 50, and I got the vivitar
2x macro, which I like and use a lot for macro.
Not too long ago I picked up an OMpc from ebay, which has mostly
replaced my OM10 in usage. I like it so much better, that I am now
looking to pick up an OM2s when I can afford it. Someone on the list
offered to sell me a "shelf queen" one a while ago, an unfair temptation
which still bothers me :-)
        I travel to Bolivia quite often in missionary work, and usually take
the OMpc with a 28-80 vivitar 3.5-4.5. It has been through the mountains
and altiplano of Bolivia in dust so thick you have to blow it off the
fliter between pictures, but has never failed me yet. It has given me
great pics of llamas and mountains and Quechua people, etc., and has
never been stolen either, which is a marvel for down there. And the RC
is perfect for stealing shots in the markets, etc. It goes with me
everywhere on a belt pouch. My om's have witnessed fellow traveller's
p&s's die, even new ones, but mine never have failed me yet. And one
friend carries a lieca (which gave him trouble, but didn't die
completely), which I can't really see any advantage in picture quality
(slides or prints) over mine. On the last trip he almost abandoned using
his lieca slr for his Olympus epic 2.8 p&s. I now have one of those as
well, it being my latest acquisition, but I don't think it will see a
lot of use. But my wife likes it great.
        And, well.... I am  thinking I could use an OM1n as well......... you
know.... for when it gets cold here in Canada..... and you need
something that doesn't need batteries........ when you're out for a
walk........oh never mind.