[OM] Macro methods

Subject: [OM] Macro methods
From: Chris Barrett <cpbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 11:21:39 -0000
Cc: "'OM list'" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Peter Klein wrote:

"Does anyone on the list have experience using the 50/3.5 Zuiko macro vs.
using an ordinary 50/1.8 Zuiko with extension tubes, a Vivitar 2x macro
extender, or closeup lenses?  I know there is supposed to be significant
difference in field flatness and optical quality, but I've never seen
side-by-side pictures to show how *much* difference."

Dear Peter,

You can see a side by side comparison on my page of the Olympus Gallery:

http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/subpages/barrett/barrett.html

The top nine where shot using an OM2n, 50 f/3.5 macro, third party 2x
converter, t32/BG2 and T20. They are all shots taken out in the field with this
more poratble setup.

The bottom 8 shots were taken some years ago when I had a less mobile system
(which I used indoors on a tripod with captured specimens). This consisted of
an OM1 50mm f/1.8 with Hoya +2 close up lens, OM manual 25mm extension tube,
third party 2x converter, sunpack auto14 flash on manual.

The manual extension tube forced me to use a tripod, as I needed to focus, then
manually stop down before taking the shot. An auto extension tube would have
been better, but they weren't available at that time.

For more of my photos I have a web site:

http://members.netscapeonline.co.uk/drchrisbarrett/photographs.htm

Which has some more recent shots.

I have recently added an Olympus 2x converter to my setup. In order to mount
the 50mm f/3.5, I use a Vivitar 12mm auto extension tube (the OM 7mm auto tube
would be better), with the same flash arrangement.

Hope this helps.

Chris Barrett
Malvern