Re: [OM] om 1 on ebay

Subject: Re: [OM] om 1 on ebay
From: "Chris O'Neill" <chris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 08:11:17 -0700
On 29 Oct 2001, at 8:47, Wayne Culberson wrote:

> Good morning folks,
> Did I get burned on this for $75?
> http://cgi.ebay.com/awcgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1290981149
> Anyone have any experience with a brown spot on the prism?

That depends on what the "brown spot" is.  If you're lucky, it's just a
piece of gunk on the focusing screen that can be (carefully!) brushed off.
 If you're not so lucky, it could be a desilvered prism, or "goo" from old
foam, which will eventually result in a desilvered prism.  If this is the
case, you're fur sure looking at a CLA.  Last I checked ('bout a year
ago), a CLA and replacement of a desilvered prism (used parts) ran
'bout US$100.

On other thing I spotted that worries me...  The seller says the meter is
off when a non-mercury battery is used.  Using the wrong battery is
*not* a good thing, and can damage the meter.  Some moron may have
screwed-up the meter by using the wrong type.

So, did you get burned?  Hard to say until you receive the camera and
check it out.  The price you paid is pretty darned good IF it doesn't need
alot of work.  If the prism is desilvering or the meter is shot, then the
price you paid wasn't so hot.  BUT, if you get it fixed up, you'll have a
DARNED nice camera in exceptional shape for what you would've paid
for one in pretty decent shape in the first place.

On a hopeful note, a year ago I bought a non-MD OM-1 with a desilvered
prism for 'bout what you just spent.  I spent 'nuther US$100 getting it
fixed up, played it a couple of months, and sold it for US$250.  Yeah, it
*is* easier to spend more and get one that's in really nice shape, but
there's a certain satisfaction from resurrecting a seriously sick one.

G'luck!  Let us know how it turns out, eh?

Regards,

Chris