Re: [OM] Vivitar S1 200/3 vs. 180/2.8 and Tamron 180mm f2.5

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar S1 200/3 vs. 180/2.8 and Tamron 180mm f2.5
From: Pandionhalietius@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:37:52 EST
The lens doesn't say VMC.  Maybe I should have hunted better?

Were there two versions?  Does yours say VMC on the lens ring?

Maybe you should do the test, as you have the best competition, the Tamron
180/2.5 SP-ED.

Skip

Yes, there were VMC and non VMC lenses Series 1 lenses.  I have both versions
of the 200.  Don't worry, the non-VMC was my standard for a lot of years and
is great.  The VMC has more multi- coating but its superior performance is up
to the multi/non multi-coated  crowd.   I can't compare my two versions
because my old trusty non-VMC is fungus infected and not a fair test.
I will get some shots together and compare.  It won't be a Gary test as his
works speaks for itself-the best!
Qucikly (I will get exact numbers on weight etc later), the Tamron 180/2.5 is
 slighly heavier, has internal focus (big plus) and takes a 77mm filter
compared to the Vivitar 200/3.
Also, I still shoot my Zuiko 200/4 because of it's lightness and quality.
John R