Re: [OM] First Olympus

Subject: Re: [OM] First Olympus
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:11:54 -0500
Yet, another, although I may have told this one before:

When I flunked out of college and went off to Find America
in 1978 (yep, it was out there) I took along a spanking new
OM-1 with 50/1.8. (And yes, my ssn is probably still etched
into the bottom plate, wherever it is). I hiked down into the
Grand Cayon with the little darling and was pleased to discover
that the flange hadn't let any dust into the works when I got back out...

Later I added a 28/2.8 (I was too wimpy for a real wide angle) and
some vivitar zooms (35-105/3.5 and 100-300/5) that had all kinds of
distortion and aberration but still let me take some of the pictures
I wanted to take. (Lots of bulk plus-x, the occasional ektachrome).
Then a nice used 200/4, which I had for a few years before the whole
kit was stolen while I was off on a business trip...

Sometimes I miss the simplicity of the OM-1 -- not to mention knowing that
I could get a print out of just about anything once I got to the darkroom.

paul

--
Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx