[OM] First Olympus OM? (kinda long)

Subject: [OM] First Olympus OM? (kinda long)
From: Eric Pederson <epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 13:36:41 -0800 (PST)
> From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Boy my story sounds so much like Tom's it is VERY SCARY!

Ditto for me -- though I escape being an "oldtimer" by being a year younger
than Tom. :-)

OM1-MD with 50mm lens new in US High School 1976.
135/2.8 a year or so later from the local photo store.

That was about it until that cheap flash a slick salesman in Hong Kong
talked me into in 1984.

Then a 35/2.8 a year or so after that from somewhere.

Then nothing until 1992 when I heard that Olympus was closing down the OM
line. Like the rumors of Mark Twain's death, I suppose. Since I actually
had a job by that point (miracles happen), I bought an OM4Ti during a mad
dash visit to the US with a co-ordinated Adorama mail order.

Then while visiting Kobe (just before the earthquake) I ordered a a 90/2
from this little camera shop in an arcade which was later flattened. I
didn't know anything about either the OM4Ti nor the 90/2, they just seemed
like decent options.  There was no MLU on the OM4! I had thought all
decent cameras had that since "even" my OM-1 had one. I didn't even check
on the price of the 90/2 when I asked the Kobe camera store to order it.
How expensive can a short tele be? I was shocked when I found that it cost
around $500! But at the time I felt I had to buy the lens to not lose
face.  Fortunately, it turned out to be a very nice lens -- some of you
probably knew that before buying one!

Then I discovered this list, ebay, and the world of used camera equipment.
Apparently some people sell their old equipment even without abject
poverty -- though I'm not sure why.
So I bought more lenses and bodies -- though I put a limit of about $120
per item which helped. Now I have every piece of Olympus equipment I
*want*! Unfortunately, I still *need* an 80 Macro....

Okay, I'll step down now,
Eric Pederson
epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (no "n" in "epederso")
Professional home page: