RE: [OM] web (thumb) page programs - was "free photo display webs ites"

Subject: RE: [OM] web (thumb) page programs - was "free photo display webs ites"
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:37:57 -0700
> Sort of related question -- I'm looking for a free-ware of
> reasonably priced
> shareware program that will set up a web page with thumbnails
> linked to a
> folder of images, and allow putting captions with the
> pictures.

 BatchThumbs does the thumbnails+pages; not captions, but those are easy
enough to add in by hand. Free, actually easy to use (unlike all the other
ones I tried which tended to be incredibly fiddly to get to do anything) and
it does the job. Recommended by another listmember a while ago, and I'm very
pleased with it.

 http://www.harmware.com/stile99.htm#thumb

 If you have PHP support from your webhost, MiG seemed to be the easiest
thing for doing more dynamic pages (ie just dump files in a directory and
let the web server generate the pages on the fly, rather than needing to
update the pages each time you add an image. This may or may not be
important to you, of course). Get that from
http://tangledhelix.com/software/mig/

 (how much you like either of these depends mostly on your sense of
aesthetics -- neither one gives you much in the way of pretty decorative
borders around your thumbnails, but that's what I wanted)

 -- dan