RE: [OM] Zuikoholics Anonymous Sign-up Web Page

Subject: RE: [OM] Zuikoholics Anonymous Sign-up Web Page
From: Henrik Dahl <hdahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 13:03:11 +0100
You know you're a zuikoholic when every lens or body you buy is "by pure chance" or "I just stumbled over it" or "it jumped on me from the shop counter". Denial is the worst stage of the disease.

Henrik "in bad need of help or more money" Dahl

John Wheeler wrote:
The wife and I have just returned from four weeks in the US and it seems I
must have caught the virus. What started as simply a 'probably worth
fiddling with' ownership of an OM-2 has degenerated into a sweating and
shaking I-must-have-it lens buying trauma.

You see, I only needed to take the Stylus Epic to capture simple record
shots but when our San Francisco located daughter mentioned she had two
tickets for us to the Dodgers/Giants game on Friday 5th October at Pac Bell
Park urgent action was indicated. Obviously we'd need a long focus lens of
some kind! It was pure chance that the dealer in Sydney happened to have
that f5 100-200 Zuiko zoom in mint condition. (Barry Bonds' seventy first
homer was captured on the downswing with the ball as a two centimetre streak
of light about 5cm away on the 6X4 print!)

In addition, if one is photographing architecture one really needs some sort
of wide angle lens, doesn't one? So it was purely by chance that we came
across that photo shop in San Francisco with the f2.8 28mm Zuiko in the
secondhand display case. Unfortunately the Leader of the Opposition was
present at the time so the purchase was in the face of somewhat stern
opposition. The limp is almost imperceptible now but the swelling in the
kidney region is still quite painful. Also the chill in the air has started
to thaw and will hopefully be back to normal around 2002.

BTW any comment on the performance of these two lenses? I know that they're
not in the same class as the f2 lenses but I'd welcome some advice on their
usage.

Best regards,
John Wheeler.