Re: [OM] Lens sharpness

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens sharpness
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 16:24:53 -0800
---Original Message---
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:12:45 +0800
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxx>

If you expect the 35-70/3.5-4.5 is better than the 35-105 you will be
disappointed. Zuiko 35-105 is a very sharp, high resolution and high
contrast lens. The built quality is better than the 35-70 too, it is
way too plastic.

I once owned the 35-70 and I still have the 35-105 (latest version).
You can check the following link for Modern photography test result.
It is the ultimate guy for me, in most case it confirmed with my
experience on the Zuikos.

http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/mp-zuiko-tests.txt

C.H.Ling

Thanks for that, I'm pleased that a chance walk past my local camera shop
yielded such a great lens!  I assumed the 35-70/3.5-4.5 would be better due
to the narrower range.  I saw one at a trade show, just after I bought the
35-105, and didn't dare ask to see it, just in case!  I've found the 35-105
to be excellent, during a recent trip to Paris it was almost always used,
though the 24/2.8 was worth taking as well.  Which sets me thinking - I
could have done with a more extreme wide angle on a few occasions.  Can
anyone compare the 21mm lenses, quality wise?  Is the 18mm worth going for,
given that I like wide angles?

Andy Gilbert
Exeter
Devon
England

Unless you are using a tripod most of the time, I find that the fastest wide angle is the most useful in the tight dim spaces of interiors and small overcast squares found in European cities. I would vote for the 21/2.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California