[OM] Re:(ot) coffee

Subject: [OM] Re:(ot) coffee
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 17:36:58 +1100
>At 16:45 11/1/01, Ken Norton wrote:
>>I personally find that a pot of expresso goes very well with
>>processing B&W negatives.  The jitters that you get from the
>>expresso are perfect for shaking the bubbles from the film.

In fact, it is possible to develop BW film in tea and coffee - there's a
guide somewhere on the Rochester Institute site. Not as effective as urine
but has an interesting tone, I believe.

>>I don't particularily care for regular coffee (prefer tea), but
>>I love expresso.  I was given an expresso maker a couple years
>>ago and have been "perfecting" my brewing technique ever since.
>>Came across a blend from an Aussie company that I've tried to
>>mimmick.  It's called "Puts Hair On Your Teeth And Calls You
>>Betsie!"  Really!

Never heard of it. Must be some weak export blend.

>Tea may be intended to see through; coffee
>should be completely opaque.  If you can see through coffee even the
>slightest bit, it's not strong enough.

That's the way 'muricans drink tea - nasty, thin, bag derived muck. True
tea as served in the standard British transport caff ("pint or half pint,
luv?) is strong enough to tan leather, needs milk in it to reduce its
carcinogenic properties (real, whole milk, not white medicine), can hold a
spoon upright and will take the chrome off a well brassed OM1 top plate
before replating. Then there's Indian style chai - double boiled with milk
and cinnamon - paint stripping strength.

>>Like a good cup of tea, expresso and coffee needs no
>>adulteration.

Tea - see above. Espresso - try machiatto (sp?) - my preferred brew.
(double strong espresso, five spots of milk). I'll know the US is taking
coffee seriously when they make Starbuck's illegal instead of exporting the
evil concept.
AndrewF