Re: [OM] OT: Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Computers
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 01:22:05 +0100
Yo,

on Sat, 3 Nov 2001 23:42:29 +0100, Hans van Veluwen wrote:

>Same experience I had when I upgraded from Win98 SE (which died on me when I
>tried to install Office 2000 on it) to Win2000. Just about every piece of
>hardware was identified and installed properly. Win98 allways gave me hard
>times by letting me manually install and configure the graphic adapter, SCSI
>card, printer, ....

Well, my experience with Win2000 is a little different. I tried it out on my
notebook which was due for a new clean install anyway. It doesn't have
drivers for my PC Card modem, and I could not find any on The Net. Mind you,
this is nothing exotic - a 3Com/U.S. Robotics WinModem and a mere 3 years
old. While I would have considered getting another modem and did upgrade my
Virtual CD software to version 3 to make Win2000 cooperate with it, 2k
finally disqualified itself by not running my main dictionary program. This
is a 16-bit application named "Languages of the world" for which there is no
32-bit upgrade available - at least I can't find one, though I've tried real
hard. I need this program for my work, and an operating system that doesn't
run it is simply unusable for me. So I'm back to Win98 SE. I wonder whether
XP is more backward-compatible than 2000. Anyway, I don't like the way they
_force_ you to register your copy of XP; I think when I buy a piece of
software it is _my_ decision whether I want the manufacturer to have my
personal data or not, and this bothers me enough to keep me from even trying
an upgrade to XP.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--