Re: [OM] OT: Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Computers
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 21:54:52 -0600
On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 09:27:14PM -0600, Tom Scales wrote:
> Unfortunately, you're wrong.  That's the problem with all the misinformation
> on the 'net.

I got this info from a well-connected source at a major computer
manufacturer.

> It's 6-8 changes, depending on what you change, and it NEVER requires any
> additional money, just a phone call to reregister.  No matter how much you
> change or upgrade, there is no new licensing and no more money.

Got a reference for this? It goes against everything I've heard.

> I also think Infoworld is on drugs. Every test says it is faster than Win2K.

Every test that Microsoft ran, or every test folks not paid by Microsoft
ran? Remember the Mindcraft fiasco, comparing NT to Linux? Microsoft has
paid for rigged test results so many times that you have to be careful when
reading anything like that from so-called "independent testing labs"...to
make sure they really are independent.

I run Windows because I have to, not because I want to. (I was an OS/2 bigot
for years, and got away from it when Microsoft had succeeded in crushing
it.) I'm not as rabid a Microsoft hater as many folks, but I do believe that
Bill Gates's greatest crime against humanity is making people expect
software to be unreliable and a pain in the ass to deal with. Were it in my
power, I'd force M$ to cut out this business of releasing a new version
every couple of years until they made the stuff work properly first. I mean,
it shouldn't be possible for an application to cause the entire OS to crash,
but I can blue-screen Win2K fairly frequently (about every couple of weeks)
just by clicking on a menu bar item in another web browser. (Yes, I consider
a system crash every other week to be unacceptably frequent. Comes from a
background in mainframe and Unix computing.)

Enough of this OT rant...back to sucking down pics from the E-10 and
figuring out how to make it do a particular effect I want.