Re: [OM] OT: Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Computers
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 22:17:43 -0600
Performance:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/evaluation/whyupgrade/performance.as

Yes, it's on MS site.  It depends on whether you consider Ziff-Davis
independent. I do.

As for activation, here are some pertenent pieces of information:

Activation is completely anonymous and requires no personally identifiable
information from the end user.

Those who upgrade their PC's hardware substantially may be asked to
reactivate. Reactivation for this reason is easy and can be completed by
contacting Microsoft to obtain another confirmation ID.  (Tom's note: in
other words, no new license)

I can't find the article I read that indicated 8 changes, but as I read it a
few days ago.

I know from personal experience with Office XP, that this isn't that big a
deal. I moved Office XP from one machine to another.  Took a 3 minute phone
call to get a new activation key.

I've activated Windows XP too. Even easier over the 'net.

Let's face it, if you made a product and somebody was stealing billions of
dollars a year from you, wouldn't you do something about it?

Tom