New Oly Digital SLR Rumor(Was:[OM] E-10 vs. E-20)

Subject: New Oly Digital SLR Rumor(Was:[OM] E-10 vs. E-20)
From: Jim Mueller <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 07:00:26 -0800

> Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 15:32:23 -0700
> From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] E-10 vs. E-20
>
> At 02:59 PM 03/11/2001 -0600, you wrote:
> >OK, I'm wavering over a 'transition' camera.  The E-10 is dropping in price,
> >but the E-20 has more pixels. Gotta love pixels.
> >
> >Any thoughts, comments, discussions, arguements?
> >
> >Any suggestions on best places to buy (meaning non-gray market, best price)?
> >
> >Is the E-20 even available?
>
> Yep.  $1,999.00 U.S. at B&H (same price the E-10 was going for last year at
> this time).  Even the local McBain's in Edmonton has 'em in stock -- I
> played with one the other day for about half an hour.  Yummy.  And their
> price is competitive with B&H's ($2,995.00 CDN, almost an exact
> conversion)!  *That's* something that didn't used to be true here in The
> Great White North.
>
> Great camera, feels like it was hewn out of a solid block of aluminium, and
> the Oly rep was in the store at the time, so I berated him that the E-20
> couldn't take multiple off-the-camera dedicated flashes like the OM line
> could.  His reply was interesting: "Can you wait until Spring 2002?"
>
> Oh, *baby*.  Be still my beating heart.  *PLEASE* let it be true.  Could it
> be he's teasing me, or was he really hinting that there's a "digital OM" in
> the works?
>
> Now I gotta wait.
>
> Garth
>
> ------------------------------

Below is a post of a similar rumor about Olympus releasing a Digital SLR. This
rumor  was a posting on rec.photo.equipment.35mm in April by Tony Spadaro, who
is
usually a very reliable source of information.
The news is exciting but I was hoping that the new lens mount on the new Digital
SLR would be compatible
with existing Zuiko lenses.

"Olympus, has announced they are developing a new interchangable lens SLR
system based around the Kodak 5.1 megapixel chip. The lens mount will be
designed new specifically for the camera. They say that there will be 4 or 5
lenses available for the mount by the time the camera is released - 18
months from now. Here's the part that sounds like an error but is not -
Projected Price: 1650.00 US. They do say pricing is only an estimate at this
point so don't be surprized if it's higher when the thing is finalized.
    They also mention they will continue to support their current digital
SLR, the E10. This indicates to me that it will be dropped like a hot potato
the minute they have the new camera in production. There was no mention of
the OM, one way or the other."