Re: [OM] OT: Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Computers
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 11:54:13 -0800
> In pondering my scanner options, a new option has occurred to me.
>   I've got a decent scanner for a beginner (an Acer ScanWit).  Windows won't
>   install it, after many, many attempts and a boatload of technical advice.
>   Window crashes on me all the time.....

Hmm... I'm jumping in late here as I've been away for a few days but
this could be an IRQ conflict. I think these scanner SCSI cards are ISA
and need to be assigned their own unique IRQ. If you also have an old
sound card, modem or network card as well then Win98 won't be able to
sort things out. You may not even have enough IRQ's available. I had to
pull my LAN card to get my scanner to work. If you have enough IRQ's
available then the solution could be to switch assignments around which
may mean setting jumpers. If your IRQ's are maxed out then maybe you
could do without the sound for example. But then again this is pure
speculation on my part as I'm lacking many details. In any event
switching OS's seems like way overkill.

Mike

--
Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West