Re: [OM] OT: Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Computers
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 04:09:26 -0800
I'm sure it has to do with sense of low self-esteem and feelings of insecurity. I don't know much about it and I'd be interested in taking a psychology class on the topic.

I think this tendency has always existed, and I think it's becoming more and more prevalent as we roll along. For sure it manifests itself faster (and more obviously) on the Net in forums where normal behavioral etiquette need not be observed as closely--a lack of direct peer pressure, lack of an ability for the person you confront to look you in the eye, possibly punch you in the eye . . . .

We see this all the time, yes? Make almost any criticism of a position or view someone or some group holds (believes in) strongly and unless this criticism is couched in the most vague and syrupy manner then it will draw immediate heat. If you pursue your point "they" will get likely get personal--and "they" might (as often as not one or two do) get personal with you right from the start anyway.

I'm not sure, as I avoid group activities like the plague these days (I only bother with these functions when I'm with someone I know and like and trust who might run "interference" for me <g>), but from what I've seen the notion seems to be more and more widely held that if you believe something then that's the same as if it were "true" or factual, and so even if you criticize only an idea someone or some group "believes" to be true you're setting yourself up for a heated assault for the reason these people take your opposition to have been an attack on their idea thus an attack on themselves!

Any of that make sense?

Basically it just boils down to piss poor education. People simply aren't receiving the requisite training (education) to develop the sort of mental discipline needed to do better intellectually in a world as complex and demanding as the one we live in. It should be intuitive that when our intellectual processes break down one of the first positions of fallback is going to be our emotions, and at that juncture you're playing with fire.

I stated that I thought it's always been this way. The two best examples of this dynamic at work would be in the areas of religion and politics, which, no surprise, old wisdom holds to be two dubious topics of conversation in mixed company.

The simplistic reason for why this is getting worse: rats in a cage, too much stress, etc.

Tris

have gotten the same reaction from N*k*n users when they saw my OM equipment.

Gregg

I once told a guy in my office that I used a Mac at home and I got the usual
reaction:  Oh, your one of those with this look of disgust and disbelief.  I
asked him why do you seem so threatened by the fact that I use another
operating system.  It is just a tool that computes.  Surely you don't feel
threatened by Apple's measly market share.  Are you pissed that I drive an
Acura, that I run 5 miles a day.  I just don't get the attitude.  I just
think different, get over it.  How is that for the PC wars.

Bob