re:[OM] Pentax M42 Screwmount to Olympus OM

Subject: re:[OM] Pentax M42 Screwmount to Olympus OM
From: The Butler Family <butlerfamly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 07:28:57 -0800
Mark

Robert Monaghan's site:

http://people.smu.edu/rmonagha/third/index.html

is one of the best sites for trying to adapt on mount to another.  As I
recall very few manufacturers have a longer registration distance than
Oly (46mm).  However that does not mean you can't make it work.  I
bought a 400 f 4.5 that was originally made for a Exakta (44.7mm?) or
some such but was poorly adapted to Nik*n (46.5mm).  It would not focus
to infinity for the previous owner so because of that I think I got an
ok deal.  It takes a little lathe work but you can take the difference
in registration distances out of the lens side of the equation by making
the lens shorter.  Since my lens was already "hacked" I didn't worry
about keeping it original so it could still be used on the camera it was
built for.  But it would not be tough to convert back, it just would not
be original.

As far as the quality of the lens try Steven Gandy's site:

http://www.cameraquest.com/kilzoom.htm

He has this to say:

"500/5.6 Zoomar Sport Reflectar, mirror lens, $550 1972 , covered 6x6
Black, built in hood, with focusing lever.  I have also seen another
version of this lens, painted light tan for military service, with
helical focusing. focused 1:10"

and he mentions that most of these were made with interchangeable
mounts.  Finding the one you need may be difficult though.

Both of these sites should give you a good starting place, it should
make a nice addition to your Zuikos.  Good Luck,

Mike Butler
Dublin, California