Re: [OM] Pentax M42 Screwmount to Olympus OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Pentax M42 Screwmount to Olympus OM
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 08:44:00 +1100
The big Zoomars are remarkable all right. But as someone suggested, they
tended to have a replaceable mount. Some of them had a dedicated
Basic listing here -
http://cameraquest.com/kilzoom.htm
Yours would be the Zoomar Sport Reflectar, I presume.
Stephen Gandy points out that some Zoomars came in their own
interchangeable mount, such as this beast -
http://cameraquest.com/zoomar13.htm
I've actually seen one of these - took me weeks to recover from the shock.
Same store/collector had a couple of the mirrors, well used, on offer  at
the US$500 or so - so the price seems fair.
So yours could have a dedicated M42 mount, an M42 adaptor on a T mount, an
M42 adaptor on a Zoomar mount....
The difference between T and M42? Thread pitch - 0.75mm against 1mm. You
get almost a full turn before it binds up terminally (go on - ask me how I
know!)
Options.
a) Check that the mount is not a screw-on adaptor.
b) If it isn't - buy a Spotmatic! (You can get a good working bod for $150
or less)
Then investigate an engineering modification to change over to Oly mount if
you want - should be easy as no aperture coupling is required and you could
cannibalise an old T mount adaptor or extension tube.
c) If it is a screw-on adaptor, get a T mount adaptor and test the thread.
If it's T mount, you're laughing.
d) If it isn't T mount, an Oly-Zoomar adaptor is unlikely to be found so go
back to b).
A good source for custom mounts is Zoerkendorfer (search Zork or Zoerk for
their web site) - they''ll make anything for you, for a price! They'd also
be familiar with Kilfitt/Zoomar mounts.
AndrewF