Re: [OM] OT: Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Computers
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 20:01:54 -0500
Interesting you mentioned rats, Tris.

A college professor I studied under was studying the effects of Cesium on mammals and had a number of rats in cages. An interesting side study developed on the behavior of the rats as a function of the number of rats in a cage. Seems to fit our present situation in terms of urban dwelling and overcrowding. Some of the more interesting behavior changes were obesity in the dominant rat, aggressiveness and cannibalism.

Gregg

I'm sure it has to do with sense of low self-esteem and feelings of insecurity. I don't know much about it and I'd be interested in taking a psychology class on the topic.

I think this tendency has always existed, and I think it's becoming more and more prevalent as we roll along. For sure it manifests itself faster (and more obviously) on the Net in forums where normal behavioral etiquette need not be observed as closely--a lack of direct peer pressure, lack of an ability for the person you confront to look you in the eye, possibly punch you in the eye . . . .

The simplistic reason for why this is getting worse: rats in a cage, too much stress, etc.