Re: [OM] OT: Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Computers
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 20:07:17 -0500
Andrew,

Do or did Australia have debating teams in school? We used to have them in High School. That seems to have disappeared in the US. One of the desirable outcomes that resulted in past generations of college graduates was the ability to attack an idea and not the individual presenting it. I see less of that happening in educational circles today.

Gregg

> Basically it just boils down to piss poor education. People simply aren't
>receiving the requisite training (education) to develop the sort of mental
>discipline needed to do better intellectually in a world as complex and
>demanding as the one we live in. It should be intuitive that when our
>intellectual processes break down one of the first positions of fallback
>is going to be our emotions, and at that juncture you're playing with fire.
> Tris

If only. Education is not some magic bullet. Most people receive an
education designed to pass on a belief and value structure. Most people
want vocational training, rather than education - it's more 'userful.' Most
receipients simply don't have the mental furniture to deal with complex
arguments in an objective manner and so genuine criticism sideslips into
mere cynicism and scepticism. Most philosophers live dangerously - like my
former lunchtime companion Peter Singer at Princeton.
AndrewF