Re: [OM] Beattie Out of Business?

Subject: Re: [OM] Beattie Out of Business?
From: Ken N <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 07:16:11 -0800 (PST)

Then Tris wrote:
>but what's going on with you when it comes to money and
>perceived purchase "value" and all that? It just seems that you
>have a sort of inbred bias against any top-end product, it also
>seems you come right around to the same conclusion, that's it's
>an inherent ripoff due to its relatively inflated price
vis-a->vis the market's lower-end alternatives.

I now write:
I think Larry is stuck in College Prof mode where he takes a
contrary point of view to help us all along with our logic and
thinking process.  Healthy debate is good, but effective
discourse only happens when both parties speak AND listen.
Profs were never known to listen.  They usually had formed their
opinions early and set them in stone.  In an ideal world, Larry
is right.  In Larry's Ideal World.  In my ideal world he is
hanging off the wall like old peeling wallpaper.

He writes from the perspective that we are all equals. Hardly
true.  I'm sure he doesn't need an SUV and probably bicycles to
the grocery store while smoking his pipe. But his needs are not
our needs.  He writes from the perspective of looking out for
the little guy.  His comments about Saturn may have been "based
in truth" but are hardly true.  To refute his claims would
require research time to bring out the real facts and figures,
but when an opinion is set in stone the rebuttal will probably
be in the form of: "Figures Lie and Liars Figure".

Larry's comments rarely bother me.  I know many many people like
him and find many of his statements to be rather entertaining.
Also, I know that he has to be saying some of the things toungue
firmly planted in cheek just to get a rise out of people.  Larry
is the kind that will say all sorts of brash things in "public"
but when you actually sit down with him, one on one, with some
jazz playing in the background and a good cup of coffee or
mind-altering liquid, he is really a pleasant guy.  Individuals
like Larry are intelligent beyond their ability to contain it.
They seek out other like-minded individuals so they can drift
off into some really esoteric conversation about the mating
habits of lava rocks.

As long as he isn't mean-spirited, I don't really care what he
writes.  It bothers me when we get in a spat over his posts.

Oh, and regarding the Saturn/Slum comment:  In countries like
the USA, Canada, UK, etc., poverty is a mindset, not a financial
situation.  There are always opportunities for personal growth,
but it is required that the individual actually have a desire to
get out of the present condition and the self-discipline to make
it happen.  A big, well paying employer in a community does not
guarantee an elimination of poverty.  No amount of money will
improve the lives of those who cannot improve their own with
what resources they currently have.

Oh #2: There might be only one or two cents of material in one
of those screens, but engineering, manufacturing overhead,
marketing, taxes, distribution and an acceptable profit
(remember this isn't a high-volume product) all contribute to
the pricing of those screens.  A healthy dose of manufacturing
and sales experience will teach you a thing or two about
pricing.  Feel free to build your own, Larry.

Carry on.

AG-Schnozz