Re: [OM] [OT] Aurora

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Aurora
From: Ken N <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 10:35:05 -0800 (PST)
Was heading off to bed early last night but checked
www.spaceweather.com one last time.  CME was expected at
anytime.  I look out the bedroom window and notice the sky
rather light.  Just then the phone rang from a hog farmer in our
church yelling at us to get outdoors.  I pull a pair of sweats
on and run out and look up.

THE SKY WAS RED!

Here in Iowa the Aurora was horizon to horizon (east-west)
directly over us.  I've never seen it like that before.

We grabbed the girls out of bed (long since sleeping), piled
them into the MPV and zipped out of town a couple of miles.  By
the time we got out there, the brilliant blankets, columns and
curtains had transformed to a solid white band of light across
the sky.  Again, we are talking horizon to horizon directly over
us.  Color finally died away so we went home.  As we were
pulling into the driveway the sky erupted again in a solid red
haze.

I did miss the leading edge of the CME.  Patterns are always
best when it first hits.  The white haze was bright enough to
obsure nearly all but the very brightest stars.  Looked like a
cloud layer during a full-moon.

AG-Schnozz.