RE: [OM] Macro 20mm Lens for Bellows

Subject: RE: [OM] Macro 20mm Lens for Bellows
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 16:40:10 -0700
> The PM-MTob adapter shows up occassionally, it's not impossible to find.
As
> a temporary solution, you could drill an appropriate sized hole in an OM
> body cap and carefully thread the lens into it.  Just make sure the lens
is
> on tight enough so that it doesn't fall out during use :-)

 Hm, sounds possible, though making it all fix in place tightly enough could
be a bit fiddly without glue/etc, and then it's a pain to adjust if I do
find the mount. Still, now I know it can be done, which I didn't before..

> These older 20mm and 38mm lenses use an RMS (Royal Microscope Society)
thread,
> and it is a standard, although a very old one that is no longer used.

 Ah, right, that explains it; I wondered what was going on there.

 Can someone explain again why it's better to use a macro 20mm lens than
just a normal 20mm lens? (other than that there's no such thing, of course)
I've got some macro shots taken at about 7x magnification I took by using a
28mm lens on bellows, and they look pretty reasonable -- at least enough so
that I can't tell if the lack of image quality is my fault for not focussing
right or the lens..

 -- dan