Re: [OM] Re: 35-70/ 3.6

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: 35-70/ 3.6
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 22:20:46 -0800
on 11/5/01 7:47 PM, DAVDOU9211@xxxxxxx at DAVDOU9211@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Fellow Zuikoholics (and those of you in denial),
>
> My newly acquired lens arrived today.  Wow  is that a hunk of glass!  All MC
> green inside and in really great condition.  Only thing wrong:  I don't have
> a proper lens shade for it.  The one I have for my 35-70/4 doesn't work on
> the 3.6.  So, anybody know where such a shade might be found?  I would be
> greatful for any help.
>
> Watch this space as I am going to put together a list for house cleaning
> soon.
>
> Dave Dougherty

You want that hood, too. The design is very clever; as the lens zooms toward
35mm focal length the front element moves forward (away from the camera
body) which eliminates the chance for vignetting. As the lens is zoomed
toward 70mm the front element moves back (toward the camera body) so the
front elements are 'deeper' in the hood, corresponding to the narrower angle
of view of the longer focal length. The hood fixes to the body of the lens,
which doesn't move with zooming (although it does move the entire assembly
in focusing. The sheer elegance of this design just astounded me when I got
my 35-70/3.6 and mounted the hood the first time... one less compromise in
the performance of the system -- isn't that what the OM is all about?!
--

Jim Brokaw