RE: [OM] Beattie Out of Business?

Subject: RE: [OM] Beattie Out of Business?
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 14:03:14 -0000
Well said, Tom.  I too worked damn hard to get through University (it's
different here in the UK I'm sure, regarding costs of doing so, so
comparisons are not easy).  I then got a good job, and worked damn hard
again.  Long hours, and no time off.  At the height of it I did 7 weeks
without a single day off - and most of those days were 12 to 16 hour days.
A couple were 36 hour days too.

That job started 3.5 years ago (July 1998 to be precise).  Yesterday I,
along with all but a handful (12 to be precise), of the company were made
redundant due in part to a downturn in the economy but moreover due to the
abismal management we had in place !

So, has this dented my belief that you are what you make of yourself ?  Not
at all.  I still agree entirely with Tom's sentiments - you get out of life
what you put in.  Now I can either sit back and feel sorry for myself and be
jealous of those still employed, or get out there and get myself another,
hopefully even better job.  With the experiences I have gained I hope to be
able to better myself time and time again.  To quote from somewhere I can't
remember "the race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself".

And I echo the sentiment of someone else (can't remember who) saying that
richness is about more than just money (some comment about Tom's daughters
?).  For all that work I did, I am not "materially" rich.  But after 3.5
years working for the company I am walking away with a wealth of knowledge &
experience which I didn't have before.  And above all I am walking away with
a wonderful relationship I would not otherwise have had (she works there too
!).

And most importantly, of course [OM content !] I have an OM-2n which
enriches my life far more than money ever could !!!!  :)  <G>

Sorry, waffling rant over !

Jon