Re: [OM] NY Times: pros switching to digital photography

Subject: Re: [OM] NY Times: pros switching to digital photography
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 09:34:54 -0600 (CST)

> There are increasing signs that digital cameras are
> gaining a secure place in the professional camera bag.
> More and more photographers have experimented with them as
> an adjunct to film. Some favor digital cameras for certain
> situations or effects; a few use them exclusively. And
> digital work was prominent in the memorable
> photojournalism that emerged from the attack on the World
> Trade Center last month.

And the result has been a lot of really bad images. I don't
thinks it's digital itself (except in low-light situations),
but compression artifacts from jamming media full of compressed
images. The Newsweek WTC flagraising cover shot was a disgrace.
Thank goodness they didn't have digital at Iwo Jima.

Kennerly made a big deal over how he was going to shoot the
White House transition in digital, and his shots looked awful.
Digital, even without artifacts, has a long way to go for
interior available light.

OTH, the Sports Illustrated "Masterpiece" cover that knocked
everyone out was shot with medium format (Mamiya 7).

Quick. Cheap. Good... Pick two.

Paul