Re: [OM] Re: 35-70/ 3.6

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: 35-70/ 3.6
From: Pawel Golik <pgolik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 15:54:35 -0500
On Wednesday 07 November 2001 12:28, Bernd Moeller wrote:

> > You mean the CF (1:28) BBAR MC Tamron 35-70 f/3.5 (filter ring 58mm)?
> I've asked before, but has anyone some test results of this lens?

No scientific, or "semi-scientific" test results, but you can see some
pictures taken with it on my website (each picture has a description
including the lens used):

http://www.gen.emory.edu/cmm/people/staff/pgolik/photography/index.html

Note however, that these have been scanned using a flatbed scanner, not a
dedicated slide/negative unit, and in most cases are much sharper when viewed
on screen or with a loupe. Generally, I'm quite pleased with this lens and it
is often my main lens (along with Zuikos 50/1.8 and 28/3.5).

> Yes, but it looks as if the maiilm/n components, apart from the zoom and
> aperture rings, are fully metal. It looks rather solid

Yes, that's the one. All metal, very solid, feels a bit heavy on an OM body,
but can still be handheld comfortably. Two-touch zoom design, but on my lens
the zooming action became looser with age, so that it can be easily used like
a push-pull one touch. Large and comfortable focusing ring. The aperture ring
is too small though and close to the mount, so it's quite difficult to
control when holding the camera to the eye. The DOF preview is a small lever,
much less comfortable than the buttons of the true Zuikos, finding it without
taking your eye away from the viewfinder will require some getting used to.
I am constantly tempted by the Zuiko 35-70/3.6 because of those ergonomy
complaints I have with the Tamron, but I think that in terms of image quality
they'd be comparable. The close focusing capability is also very nice and
quite useful. And I already have some 58mm filters.
        Pawel

--
Pawel Golik
http://www.gen.emory.edu/cmm/people/staff/pgolik.html