Re: [OM] A difficult assignment

Subject: Re: [OM] A difficult assignment
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 06:44:10 +0000
Cc: Larry <Halpert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Larry

I don't know about the particular ceremony that Volkhart is covering, but next Sunday is Remembrance Sunday in the UK as well. There are ceremonies to commemorate the dead of both world wars all over the country with the main one at the Cenotaph in London (on Whitehall). I have been on duty at the ceremonies in Germany, together with our allies (one was at the Reichswald in northern Germany, with Dutch, Belgians and Germans; another was in Dusseldorf when I attended a German ceremony representing my RAF Station).

In case you did not know, it is based on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, the day that the Armistice was signed in 1918. All military units are involved in a ceremony near their base and many servicemen attend church in uniform. Poppies are worn at this time (although I have not bought mine yet...).

So, yes, servicemen are on duty at these ceremonies of remembrance, but member of the public can attend as well, to watch and perhaps to pray.

Chris