Re: [OM] PICS - memory for editing photos

Subject: Re: [OM] PICS - memory for editing photos
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 21:52:30 -0600
Jim,

I bought my memory at Fry's too. A little more money, as I used RIMMS, but
still a great deal.  In my case, the E20 images are trivial in size, as most
of my image editing is done with the images from my Nikon LS-4000 film
scanner.  In 8-bit mode they are 60MB. In 16-bit mode they are 120MB.

I have 1GB of memory on my machine I use for Photoshop. Sometimes even that
isn't enough.

I clearly agree there is no single better investment then memory.  Disk
speed is second. CPU is actually third.

Tom

From: "Jim Brokaw"
<snip>

> RAM is at historically cheap prices nowdays. A local chain here (Fry's
> Electronics) is advertising 512MB PC133 DIMM's for under $30... this much
> memory a year ago would have been ~$150-200 or more. If you have two or
> three DIMM slots, fill them up with the biggest DIMM's you can find.
Windows