Re: [OM] PICS - memory for editing photos

Subject: Re: [OM] PICS - memory for editing photos
From: Matt Crawley <matt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 02:00:39 -0700
Hi Chris.

Small drives are fine(my startup drive is only 20Gb) but many times a larger
drive is only $10-$20 more... and drive size has nothing to do with backing
up. 20Gb of data is 20Gb no matter what size disk it's on since you don't
back up free space.

Speaking of Backup that raises another benefit of a second drive. When I'm
working on important projects I do regular backups by copying the files to
my other drive. It's very fast and in an emergency the disk can be removed
from my computer and transplanted to another to salvage the data.

 - Matt Crawley

imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Very interesting Matt.  I might consider a small second drive to use
> as the startup (my main drive is a 60Gb.. that size is pretty
> unwieldy when you consider the need to back up information!).
>
> Chris
>
> At 01:00 -0700 9/11/01, Matt Crawley wrote:
>> Hello Everyone.
>>
>> I've been on the list for a couple of months now... reading and lurking but
>> not posting. I been using Photoshop a LOT for the last 7 years so I thought
>> I should speak up. Increasing the RAM will definitely speed things up but
>> there are also other things worth considering.
SNIP
>> #2 - Add a second hard drive. On the G4 Macs(and some older Macs) there is
>> an empty drive bay with cables and power already supplied. $100 - $150usd
>> will get you a 7200rpm drive with at least 30GB. A second drive takes much
>> of the workload off your startup drive because you can use it as Photoshop's
>> scratch disk and as a place to store the large photo files. In my experience
>> LARGE photoshop files can take over twice as long to save on a computer with
>> only one drive.
SNIP