Re: [OM] Beattie Out of Business?

Subject: Re: [OM] Beattie Out of Business?
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:10:35 -0800
Larry, I don't know how you viewed my question to you, but it wasn't meant as an attack, just curiosity as to why you write some of the stuff I read. As for what you've written just now, I find nothing to quarrel with as this has been my experience as well. I hope you don't receive flak. Should you, try to ignore it. No one ever promised truth would be popular.

Tris

Actually its not true as a fact. A field that has potential for "good money", +
"hard work" and a "good" school can't hurt but doesn't really mean anything
unless you compare it to extremes. (No school, always slacking off, dead end
field). Many many people worked as hard, or even much harder, went to "better"
schools, etc. but the opportunities just didn't pay off as well, or they didn't "know" the "right" people, and other surface judgementalisms by management, etc.
that are maybe too intangeable to believe in, but are many times the biggest
factors. Many (not a small percentage) of highly paid people have not worked too hard to get there. Of course many have, as well. Those who have, and assume its
all based on their diligence, will believe in this. Many at the beginnings of
their career will believe this, fortunately, because it, like I said, it
definately can't hurt. All in all, its just a politically correct statement that
everyone is responsible for their own degree of success. That only can be
factual at times, but hardly always. Just like those who believe you "get what
you pay for". Politically correct, but mostly not true.

The correct tool for list popularity would be to now toss dismissive accusations
of "jealousy" and insults at me, pointing out that I only whine, and my
statements are completely a waste. This is the quickest way to "deal" with me,
and get back on track, so have at me, guys.

Anyway, Tom, I'm glad to have helped enable you to the E-20. :)

Larry