[OM] Re: [OT] SUV's and Zuiko's

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] SUV's and Zuiko's
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 11:01:24 -0700
At 08:05 AM 09/11/2001 -0800, Mark Lloyd wrote:
>If fuel econonmy was the biggest issue driving Amrican
>car construction everyone would be driving Geo Metros.
>The Geo Metro is perhaps the most shi**y car ever
>made. I once drove in a friend's... never again! It
>has no acceleration at all (0 to 60 in 4 minutes!) and
>is about the size of a tire off an 18 wheeler. If the
>thing ever got into a fender bender I fell that it
>would implode killing everyone inside. It does,
>however, never need to fill up with gas. A 10 gallon
>tank will get you like 500 CITY miles. I'd take any
>car/truck/SUV/whatever over that deathtrap on wheels.

Bit of an over-reaction.  I've owned a Chevy Sprint (what the Geo Metro used to
be called in Canada when Chevy was actually marketing 'em) for twelve years
now.  Been rear-ended, and the car did what cars should -- absorb the impact
and keep the occupants relatively safe.  Not that there weren't numerous trips
to the chiropractor afterwards, mind you...

Surprisingly cheap to fix after such an incident, and as mentioned above, has
good fuel economy.  Used to make round trips (Edmonton --> Calgary -->
Edmonton) in that car (600 kilometres [about 373 miles] door-to-door), and I'd
still have a third of a tank of gas left.

Cheap to operate, and good in the city.  On long road trips (the Calgary ones
qualified), could be *really* hard on your back and ass.  Now we take the VW
Passat, and we're glad of it -- but we still use the Sprint in the city.

Garth

P.S.:  OM content?  You could get a *lot* of OM gear into that little car.  And
I did. ;-)