RE: [OM] Beattie Out of Business?

Subject: RE: [OM] Beattie Out of Business?
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 10:10:26 +1100
> les clark [mailto:ll.clark@xxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> Oh, I dunno. I'll allow a biological imperative or two.

...but don't we all?

Speaking of focussing screens, I am new to manual focus
and I am having a little difficuilty in some situations
focussing with the "microprism-matte" type focussing screen
that came with my OM1. I just sometimes find it difficuilt
to identify when that circle in the centre goes clear
sometimes (and I have little faith in my judgement on when
relevant portions of the scene are in focus just by judgement
myself. The markers on the lens help in bright conditions,
but if operating around f1.4 and close distances, it
becomes more difficuilt.

I thought the split-prism type would be better (or is
another recommended), but is there perhaps some "trick"
I'm missing (eg. focus on a particular pattern/colour
brightness area within the scene and recompose?).

If it's relavent I'm likely to only ever use a 35 2.8,
a 50 1.4 and a 100/135 2.8 (that is, only "fast"ish
lenses within that limited range, with my primary body
taking up the slack outside that range.

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz