Re: [OM] 8mm Fisheye question

Subject: Re: [OM] 8mm Fisheye question
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 16:40:54 -0800
on 11/10/01 7:22 AM, Mark Dapoz at md@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Michael Virsinger wrote:
>
>> Does anyone remember how to tell whether an 8mm lens is SC or MC? I remember
>> that it had something to do with the writing on the outside of the lens, but
>> I cannot find the original post.
>
> I believe it was:
>
> SC - OLYMPUS OM-SYSTEM ZUIKO AUTO FISHEYE 1:2,8 f=8mm
> MC - OLYMPUS OM-SYSTEM ZUIKO AUTO FISHEYE 8mm 1:2,8
>
> Only the rear group and rear element were multicoated, all the others remained
> single coated.  You should be able to tell an SC lens from an MC lens by
> looking at the rear element.
> -mark

Speaking of rear group and rear elements, I got a reply from Olympus Japan
on my inquiry about replacement elements for the fungus-destroyed (not
damaged -- destroyed!) rear elements on the 8mm fisheye I bought... "This
lens was discontinued 17 years ago so we no longer have parts for it."

Well...

If anyone has any repair shops around that might have one with a damaged
front glass (its big, in front, and heavy) a generous finder's fee will be
paid for locating me rear elements (or the whole lens) at a reasonable
cost... I need a parts lens with good rear elements, the front on mine is
fine but the last few elements (one group, one single element I think) are
both beyond use. I have the SC going by the above note, but I suppose I can
put in the MC elements...

24-shift update -- The payment has been sent, and the lens is being fixed...
I can hardly wait to get it back! All of you except Mark Lloyd can share my
excitement. Just kidding Mark! BTW, did anyone notice the 24-shift on e*ay?
I bought my 18/3.5 from this guy, so I expect the 24-shift is in really
great shape (and for the price it better be!)
--

Jim Brokaw