[OM] An off-Zuiko topic

Subject: [OM] An off-Zuiko topic
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 17:01:56 +1300
Hi Folk,

Just for variety, I announce the completion (to a usable stage anyway) of a
2+ - year project.

To list on the internet, in a manner that makes it easy for anybody to grasp
the extent, ALL the species of fern in the world; names, synonyms,
authorities, and distribution.  8.27 MB, nearly 400 files, equivalent to about
1,400 A4 printed pages at arial font 10.

Completed the last 127kb this morning.

It's a world first. Nobody else has done it in such an accessible way.

Actually; it's not all there now; a few  weeks ago I realised that for a couple
of years I can probably turn a buck by selling the data set on CDROM, and
in my haemorrhaging state I can do with a buck or two right now. I want that
90-f/2 not to mention the fancy new ?35-70 f/2.8 or whatever it is that came
out in 1995. Have to get the agreement of my colleague first though **.  So I
took most of the pages down.

Link to OM-Zuiko?  Well, on my first site (still up) I have several images of
specific, named fern species, and in the long run would like the free use of
photos of species from countries outside NZ, especially tropical. ** applies
again. Photographic credit would be given, and copyright retained by the
photographer. A chance to show what Zuiko can do.

Brian