[OM] Tamron 80-200 f/2.8 first observations

Subject: [OM] Tamron 80-200 f/2.8 first observations
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 09:25:57 -0600
Just thought I'd share my first observations of this 'new-to-me' lens.  I
bought the lens and the SP 2X converter. I tried it out at the soccer game
yesterday (the last of the season).  These are random thoughts, in no
particular order. I tried it without the SP2X.

- While heavy, the balance with a body and winder is quite nice. It didn't
feel noticeably heavier than the 50-250 (although it is).
- It is very bright, much brighter than the 50-250, which makes sense with
f/2.8 versus f/5
- The zoom is backwards from what I am used to.  Pull to zoom in, push to
zoom out. Takes getting used to
- The reach is too short for soccer. I really missed the 250. I'll try it
with the 2X, and the 400 will be nice, but at f/5.6

Overall, I like the lens a lot. I just think I have concluded this is the
wrong use of the lens.  I think it will be great for my older daughter's
basketball games. They're in a full-size gym this year and I'll be in the
stands.  I also think it will be great when I need 160-400.

Don't be overwhelmed by the comments about the weight. Doesn't matter that
much.  Very fine lens.

Tom

P.S.  Will the Zuiko 1.4X fit?