Re: [OM] and now for a real question... trip to antartica...

Subject: Re: [OM] and now for a real question... trip to antartica...
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 22:20:56 -0400
On 11/11/01 8:59 PM, "Mike" <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've heard of problems of condensation when going from warm to cold and
> back. Expansion and contraction may also be a problem at those extreme
> temperature swings.

What I did when I was in Russia (St. Petersburg) with a camera from a
different manufacturer (horrors! Well I was young and foolish) was always
carry a ziploc bag with me to put the camera and lens in before going
inside. A few times I believe I forgot but I would just leave the camera in
the camera bag (a lowe pro photo runner) which seemed to be sufficiently
water tight to prevent condensation problems. But things are probably worse
around Antarctica so that might not work well enough. What I did find also
was that the camera bag's padding did act as insulation which would
drastically slow the warming up of the camera (which may be important for
the temperature swings). Of course, if you're going to rely on the bag's
water tightness to protect from condensation, you'd better make sure to let
the camera warm up enough before you take it out of the bag!

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx