RE: [OM] 8mm Fisheye question

Subject: RE: [OM] 8mm Fisheye question
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:21:58 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Scott Gomez wrote:

> You might want to check out this site:
>
> www.focalpointlens.com
>
> I found the reference to it on Photo.net via a Google search for "lens
> coating service". They do polish and recoating, fungus and haze removal, and
> recementing.

I've spoken with them extensively regarding the fungus issue on the 8mm lens.
I have an 8mm with a slight haze and some coating damage (from fungus) on the
second from the rear element.  It's not so bad that it makes the lens useless,
but it is bad enough that it bothers me.   Their estimate to remove just that
element, strip it, and recoat it is approximately $200US.  This is for the
single element, not the rear group.  The rear group would be much more
expensive to re-coat since it would need to be separated first.  Obviously
their repair service would only be economical for very expensive lenses. I
would suspect that if both rear elements of an 8mm lens are damaged, it may
not be economical to repair.  I do plan on using their service to fix my
lens and I'll report back on my experience with their service.
                                        -mark