Re: [OM] Help: picture accepted for publication, but what to do...?!?

Subject: Re: [OM] Help: picture accepted for publication, but what to do...?!?
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:23:56 -0800
This is a very common 'scam.' Both my daughters, who both write poetry have
gotten these offers. As far as I can tell, the only folks who buy these books
are those who are published in them. I have never seen these poetry books or the
photography books for sale anywhere. My guess is they do quite well selling
multiple copies to those who wish to distribute them to family and friends for
'bragging' rights.

The use of the phrase 'scam' is probably a bit strong. There is no real
deception here, other than the fact that it is not really the honor they would
lead you to believe it is. They will pick enough 'submissions' to fill the book
and to make sales.

I don't know what I would do. I have never seen one of the books, so I have no
idea what the quality is like. Personally I would probably pass on the whole
thing, including publishing my photo in the book. I doubt that I would ever buy
one. I, for one, certainly object to having to pay for the 'privilege' of adding
text, ect.

I wonder if this is done by the same folks who do the books my daughters have
been approached about. The offer sounds more than a little familiar, down to the
$25.00 bio offer and book pricing.

Jim Couch