RE: [OM] the moment of truth.

Subject: RE: [OM] the moment of truth.
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 10:02:04 -0700
Cc: gries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At 09:13 AM 14/11/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Sure!  Got one handy?  I've just started this racket last week, so I
>don't know all the tricks.
>
>Are you still having problems with other pages?  Do you see a difference
>between the ante meridian and post meridian pages?

Actually, the problem with the HTML source for the "Journal" page is simple:
here, for instance, is the link to "Ante Meridian":

   http://www.nothingrhymeswithorange.com/gries/Journal/am/ante%20merid.htm

Notice the "%20" in the last part of the URL string.  That's the ASCII code for
a "space," and the above is how the URL string appears to a Microsoft Internet
Explorer user.  In Netscape, the URL looks like this:

   http://www.nothingrhymeswithorange.com/gries/Journal/am/ante merid.htm

Note that Netscape has indeed interpreted the ASCII code for a "space" as a
*space*.  This is what it's supposed to do, normally -- but in this instance,
it causes Netscape to fail to find the Ante Meridian or Post Meridian pages off
of the Journal page, because the standard for HTML 3.2 and 4.0 URLs is that
embedded spaces are *not* allowed.

Change the URLs to "ante_merid.htm" etc. (that's "ante underscore merid dot
htm"), and everything should be fine in *both* browsers.

(I've seen this odd behaviour before -- usually arises as a result of using
automated code generators rather than hand-crafting the code.)

Garth