Re: [OM] Difference Between the 50mm Zuiko Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Difference Between the 50mm Zuiko Lenses
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 11:09:21 -0600
Well, the answer is in the apertures.  Obviously, the lower the number the
faster.  Also heavier.  Also more expensive.  The 50/1.8 is probably the
best value on the market right now.  The 50/1.8 had multiple different
versions, I've lost count, but the 'best' are the late models.  The actually
say the words "made in japan" on the front.  Nice sharp light lens.  Price
is $20-35.

The 50/1.4 is marginally faster, a little sharper (in the later models).
Again, multiple series.  The best have a serial number roughly greater than
1,100,000 although a few thousand below should also be the new
configuration.  Price is $60-90.

Lastly, the 50/1.2 is a fantastic, bright lens.  Very sharp.  All are
Multicoated MC.  Heavier, more expensive.  I would only go for this lens if
you have a particularly need for the speed.  Prices $250-300.

In all cases, those are rough prices, mostly on ebay. Bargains are
available.  One thing you'll like (although you wallet won't) is that list
members usually offer what they are going to sell here first.  Usually at a
very fair price.

Hope that is a good starting point. You'll get lots of answers.

Tom Scales