Re: [OM] Tamron 80-200/2.8 vs Tokina's ATX series

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 80-200/2.8 vs Tokina's ATX series
From: Thomas Bryhn <thomas.bryhn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:54:17 +0100
At 18:34 14.11.01, Skip Williams wrote:
The up-side with the Tamron MF is that you can use it on multiple bodies of different brands with ease. That keeps the market much more fluid. It usually means that the prices for the Tamrons are a bit lower, as the supply is greater. The Tokina ATX lenses tend to cost more for the same lens in less-common mounts like Olympus or Leica.

If I remember correctly, the ATX can use the Olympus 1.4xA converter. That would (for me anyway) be a good enough reason to go for the ATX if given the choice. The basic concept of the Adaptall 2 is brilliant, but the tele converters for Adaptall 2 mount seem like an afterthought, taking it one step too far. Maybe I've had bad or faulty equipment in the past, but I've always found separating the mount and the lens to be rather difficult, and aligning them back up is certainly not something you do with large winther gloves on your hands.

(Yes, I know: I should solve the problem by moving to the equator, I'm reminded every day now <g>.)

Regards,
Thomas Bryhn