Re: [OM] Difference Between the 50mm Zuiko Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Difference Between the 50mm Zuiko Lenses
From: "Olympus" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 12:10:34 -0800
All I know is, I have a 50/1.8 and it is so razor sharp, I wish my bic
razors were this sharp, then maybe I'd get a closer shave and fewer nicks...

There is a picture on Kodak 200, with cloudy overcast, I took of my sister
and my cousins in taiwan.  One of the sharpest pictures I've ever seen.
People saw it and asked if it was a crop from a medium format, because it
was so sharp..  It is one of my favorite lenses.

Hmm.. an Om1 (or an OM-10 for that matter) plus the 50/1.8 has got to be,
the best combo there is for the used market and entry into SLR's.  It's
soooooo small compared to the other systems (nikon brick, canon pound cakes)
I don't know why most photo teachers recommend a Pentax over this combo.
Also, you want to talk professional quality on shoe string / dental floss
budget, this is it!

It's my default lens.  Also, I find 50mm to be so convenient...  Why?  Well,
before I even pick up the camera, I close one eye, and what I see out of one
eye, is the composition of this lens in terms of degrees field of vision.
So composing before even touching the camera is as easy as closing one eye.
I do that often, I haven't figured out a good way to compose for my 28mm, or
my 90mm, but for my 50mm; it's magic.

I am thinking about buying my sister an Om-1n + 50mm/1.8 as a gift for xmas.
Won't cost me that much, and I at least know the quality of pictures this
combo has...

Also, as my friend who spent $2000 on his Canon Elan7E system said to me
"Wow, that thing is built rock solid!  I mean, if an intruder came in, I can
pop him on the head with it, and then take a picture of him knocked out cold
laying on the floor.."  True true.

Albert