Re: [OM] Stupid BW question

Subject: Re: [OM] Stupid BW question
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:36:22 -0700
At 01:20 PM 14/11/2001 -0800, Tris Schuler wrote:
>No, that's why they call it through-the-lens metering--as the meter reads the
>actual light through the lens no compensation is required. Now if you shoot
>manually with a hand-held meter you'd need to take the filter into account...

[snip]

Not strictly true.  The meter cell may have a different spectral sensitivity
than the B&W film being used, in which case there will be an exposure error.
The only way to critically evaluate this is via experimentation.  Notes
included with some of my old B&W filters state that, even though the filter in
question *should* require such-and-such exposure compensation, it's always best
to do tests.

I would imagine that with most B&W films the exposure latitude of the emulsion
would help to compensate for all but fairly severe errors.  Since I don't know
the film being used, and I don't know the spectral sensitivity of the meter
cell, I'd be tempted to test.

Garth