Re: [OM] Difference Between the 50mm Zuiko Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Difference Between the 50mm Zuiko Lenses
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 17:02:19 +0800
Lens performance is a very complicated issue. Once Pop photo also
found out their highly praised Tamron 35-105/2.8 (or 28-105/2.8?) was
poor than the cheap Sigma 35-105/3.5-4.5 at portrait distance and the
different was very obvious.

Twelve years ago I was very happy with my first 50/1.4 SC with S/N
3xx,xxx since I rare use F1.4 and F2 during that time and F2.8 gave
very sharp pictures. Sometimes when the shots came out not sharp at
wide open I just thought hand shake caused the problem as I will only
use F1.4 at very low light. After I got some other Zuikos 50/1.4's I
found they are really not equal. On the other hand the SC 50/1.4 with
a later S/N is good even wide open.

I think decentering will not happen to many Zuiko's design unless they
received very high impact. I have disassembled over 20 different
Zuikos, there is no centering adjustment. But focusing and vibration
do have some impact to lenses. The slow wide angle is hard to focus
and the 200/4 is the most subject to vibration lens I have seen.

If you have some lenses and found they can satisfy your need that
would be fine, no need to worry about what other people say. If you
only own one or two lenses may be it is time to buy some more to see
how they compare.

C.H.Ling