Re: [OM] Stupid BW question and trip plans

Subject: Re: [OM] Stupid BW question and trip plans
From: Ken N <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:14:06 -0800 (PST)
OK, my braincell must be coming back to life here...

I looked through various photographic resources and also checked
the Kodak website, since I'll be shooting TMX 100 and probably
some Tri-X.

According to their product data sheets, we can meter straight
through the filter on our SLRs and pretty much trust the meter.
However, "for most accurate exposure, meter without the filter
and open up three stops".  Fine.  I'll stick with my TTL
metering then.

Duh?

Not really.  I went on and researched a bit further on a Yellow
(#8) filter.  Hmm did you know that the exposure compensation is
different between Tri-X and TMX?  Were talking 1/3 of a stop
difference in the filter factor.

Unless anybody cries out, I'll stick the stinkin filters on my
lenses and meter away in total bliss.

Don't know YET where we are going on vacation.  It'll be
mountains either way, but the jury is still out whether it's the
Rockies or the Smokies.  The thought of Mexican Food from Sante
Fe has me leaning that direction and also the thought of a
little bit of off-roading has me thinking the southwest too.
However, the diversity and waterfall/river/stream options in the
Smokies is a tremendous draw too.  As we all know, the CDFO will
end up deciding anyway, so...

This will be the first time in 15 years that I'll go ANYWHERE
without slide film.  I am 100% B&W on this trip (with color
print film for family pictures).  I'm excited about this, but
also very apprehensive.  Hmm, in case I don't get anything good
this trip, I do have a backup B&W print already for the
Christmas exchange...

I discovered that my OM-4 has a flying shutter string, so that
camera body will be relegated to long exposures.  No problem!  I
plan on some serious tripod work and with filters and small
F-stops, I usually get multi-second exposures anyway.  I'll be
shooting it like it's a medium-format camera.

Ok, at the moment, here is my "GO KIT":

XA (Will be loaded with Tri-X)
IS-3 (Loaded with Fuji color print film for family shots)
OM-2S (TMX)
OM-4 (TMX)
24/2.8  (banged up, but sharp)
35/2.8  (bloody sharp)
50/3.5  (slice limbs off sharp)
100/2.8 (hubba hubba bokah bokah)
135/3.5 (that inbetween focal length)
200/4   (that cool, gets you out there lens)
600/6.5 (borrowed, sharp, way too big for the Jeep)
Backpacking tripod (customized thingy/shoulder stock)
Bogan 3021 with 3-way head.
Vivitar flash (for OMs)
G40 Flash (for IS-3. Maybe, still undecided)
Yellow filter
Red filter
Extension tubes
Cable release
Small camera bag (car-trunk photography)
Fishing vest (hiking/walkabout photography)
Backpack (flimsy bookbag that will carry a few things, plus
munchies)

I'm tempted to leave the XA and G40 home if necessary (space if
VERY tight).  Not sure about the 600 either.  I'll hold the
600's case out to see if we can get everything else packed
first.

I was also debating between the 3001 and the 3021 tripods, but
remembered that last time I took the 3001 and figured that if I
can pack that, I can pack the 3021, which is a much better 'pod.
 If I'm hiking, I'm using the portable tripod anyway so the 3021
is for "car-trunk" photography.

Ken (AG-Schnozz) N.