Re: [OM] Difference Between the 50mm Zuiko Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Difference Between the 50mm Zuiko Lenses
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 10:00:51 +0800
Winsor Crosby wrote:

> >well and seem to have the same design as my 1,100,000 as both have
> >same diameter front and rear element and same weight. I also had a
> >8xx,xxx MC which is poorer than all 50/1.4 I have except the silver
> >nose one. All the 50/1.4 I compared were in great shape and very
> >clean.
> >
> I think the idea that Olympus or any other fine camera manufacturer
> is unable to turn out multiple copies of the same lens design without
> huge variations in quality is simply ludicrous. It is even more far
> fetched, considering that the Japanese essentially created modern,
> consistently high quality industrial processes in cameras as well as
> other products which have revolutionized those processes elsewhere in
> the world.
>
> The only significant differences you are going find will be in
> subjective, anecdotal opinion, flawed "objective" third party testing
> which attempts to justify its own questionable results, damage after
> manufacture, and unannounced design changes by the manufacturer.
> --
> Winsor Crosby
> Long Beach, California

The different is not huge, but a side to side comparison of the same
shot under large magnification can see, I bet most of you will not see
the different in normal use. It depends, may be I'm too demanding and
more sensitive to lens resolution.

Manufacturing deviation with tooling shift is absolutely possible, the
lens came out could be all passed the outgoing standard of Olympus,
but some are just better than the other.

C.H.Ling